This recipe makes enough dough for 2 pizzas, but the rest of the ingredients are for 1 pizza!
Pizza comes in all shapes and sizes, with different flavor profiles and toppings. When you make homemade pizza you can make your dough sweet or spicy, you can use a mild, strong, soft or hard cheese, toppings are limitless. Pizza is a blank canvas. For this recipe, I first though of shrimp pizza after I made shrimp lo mein with the other half of this bag of frozen shrimp. I wanted to make a pizza featuring shrimp, and I thought then that a cheese sauce would be a good pair, and then broccoli seemed to also be a natural pair. So this pizza was born. The cheese sauce for this pizza was made with just estimates. I make this exact cheese sauce for mac and cheese and so you just add milk until your desired looseness is met. If you make this recipe the way I did, you will have 1/2 the cheese sauce left, so boil 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, and you can have a side of mac and cheese with pizza (which is what I did). Each pizza makes 10 slices, giving about 5 adult servings per tray. As noted above, this recipe makes 2 crusts, but the rest of the ingredients are enough for 1 pizza, so alter the recipe if you want to make 2 shrimp pizzas.
What You Will Need
- 3 1/2 tsp Active Dried Yeast
- 2 Cups Warm Water
- 6 Cups & 4 Tbsp Flour Separated
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Baking Sheets, 13 x 18in, 1/2 Baking Sheet
- 1/2 Medium Diced Onion
- 4 Tbsp Butter, 1/2 Stick
- 1 Block White Sharp Cheese, 8 Oz
- 1 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Bag Broccoli, 16 Oz Thawed and Dried
- 12 Oz Frozen Cooked Shrimp, Thawed and Tail Removed
- 1/2 bag Mozzarella, 16 Oz
- Non-stick Spray
- Large Frying Pan
- To Make Dough: In a bowl, mix together Yeast, Warm Water, Flour, and Oil. Mix until a smooth dough forms, then set aside and let rise til double in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Turn out onto a greased countertop and divide into 2 portions for 2 pizzas.
2. In a large frying pan, melt butter and saute onion. Once onion is sauteed, add flour and stir constantly until flour is cooked out. Add milk then stir til smooth, add more milk as necessary. Dice cheese into 1 inch cubes then add to flour mixture. Stir off the heat until all cheese is melted. Set aside.
3. Heat oven to 400 F. Spray both baking sheets with non-stick spray, add dough and spread evenly over the bottom to edges. If dough pulls back from the edges, let rest for 5 minutes before trying again. Once pulled to edges of pan, top with 1/2 cheese mixture and spread to 1 inch from edges of crust. Add broccoli on top. Bake for 15 minutes then remove.
4. Add shrimp and mozzarella to 1/2 baked pizza. Return to oven and bake for another 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving to prevent cheese sauce from running out.