Mac & cheese with kielbasa is always one of my favorite treats. I love mac & cheese and this is my favorite version of it. Kielbasa is also a nice protein to have with it since it’s spices are so flavorful and compliment the mac & cheese perfectly.
- Cook 1 1/2 cup of macaroni to al dente and drain.
- While that is cooking, preheat oven to 375 F. Dice 1 small onion (1/2 cup) and cook in a large frying pan with 4 Tbsp of butter until translucent.
- Remove Kielbasa from packaging, remove skin, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces, place into a casserole dish, add 1/4″ of water and set aside.
- Once onions are translucent, add 4 Tbsp of flour stir to combine, then add 2 1/2 cups of milk. Heat to a slight simmer.
- While that is heating, cube one block of sharp cheese (8 oz) by cutting the block in half the short way, then slicing into slices 1/4 inch thick. Once milk is simmering, remove milk from heat and immediately add cheese and start stirring until all cheese is melted.
- Place drained macaroni into a 2 quart size or bigger backing/casserole dish. Then pour the hot cheese over top and carefully stir.
- Add Kielbasa to oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir. Return to oven for another 15 minutes. Cook with the mac & cheese. Bake your mac & cheese for 30 minutes until the top has begun to brown and is bubbling hot. Serve together.